Rainbow’s End Estate

Rainbow’s End was bought in 1978 by Jaques Malan. Since then owned by the Malan family. Started to plant vineyards in 2000 after terroir planning was done in 1999 by Prof Eben Archer. Rainbow’s End just planted under reds comprising 18ha of the Bordeaux varieties and Shiraz. ( 35% Cabernet Franc; 25% Merlot; 25% Cabernet Sauvignon; 10% Shiraz and 5% Petit Verdot and Malbec ). First wine was made in 2002 by Anton Malan being the winemaker since then and assisted by his brother Francois Malan who is the viticulturist and farm manager. Office, logistics, marketing related issues is done by Jana Cloete and winemaker Anton Malan is also responsible for the sales.

Future projects has been done like planting of flowers and fynbos by Francois. ( proteas and pincussions). A new tasting room with spectacular views of the mountains and vineyards has been build in covid and opened in January ‘ 2022. After 18 months allready a huge success. Winemaking is done in a traditional way. Picking all by hand, destemming with no crushing and hansorted before going into tank. Open tank fermentation with traditional punch downs still done by hand. A unique cooling process is done with water pumped from their natural fountain through stainless steel plates in the tanks and back into the fountain. All the wines are matured in 225 liter French Oak barrels for 12 months and the icon Bordeaux blend consisting of only 12 barrels matured for 24 months. 40% of the wine is exported to countries like German, Switzerland, UK, Belgium, USA, Singapore and Japan. The other 60% is sold to the top restarants in SA, Private buyers and from the farm’s tasting room.

Label is done in a traditional, classique style by their artist sister Marieke and the label is still the same as it was when first released in 2002. The red wines are all Estate wine with the flagship vatiety being Cabernet Franc followed by top Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. Then a Bordeaux blend , The Family Reserve is made consisting of the best 12 barrels of the vintage out of their Bordeaux varieties. A marketing approach is driven by personal relationships and is done by Anton in the trade and exports and Fennel, ( the tasting room manager ), and Jana from the farm. The end produck is a boutique exclusive wine sold at very competive prices. Focus is 100% on quality and consistency.

The red wines is made in a style between Old and New World wines. Wines that you can drink at a young age but can also mature for up to 10-15 years. The unique location in the highest corner of the Banghoek valley with great red oakleaf/red hutton soils with the passionate people working the soil, vineyards, wines and marketing/admin is the biggest attribute with their top quality red wine boutique brand.

  • Number of bottles produced: 80.000
  • In charge of vineyard management: Francois Malan
  • Name of Company contact: Anton Johann Malan
  • Telephone: +27 0218851719
  • Website: http://www.rainbowsend.co.za
  • Address:

    Rainbow’s End Estate Pty Ltd
    Zevenrivieren Road (off Helshoogte pass)
    Banghoek Valley,

    Stellenbosch 7600 - SA

The winery

Focus is 100% on quality and consistency Anton Malan

Ascolta "Raimbow's End - Anton Malan" su Spreaker.

The other wineries

They might also interest you